Server 'freezing'

Carsten Milling yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Dec 20 16:52:01 2002

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 02:26:33PM -0000, Rob Brandt wrote:
> No.  Prior to this the suspicion had been with the hard disk itself.

Hmm, doesn't look like that to me. Anything in /var/log/messages?

> Are there utilities to test RAM?  Or is the only way with trial
> and error replacing of RAM modules?

My TiBook came with a CD to perform hardware tests. Tried it once just
being curious. IIRC it also included a test of built-in RAM. I don't
know if this is available for your machine. If you don't have a CD,
maybe you will also find something in Apple's knowledge base about
testing RAM.

> No, I hadn't tried to compile the kernal either.

For me the FAQ at http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/ was quite
illuminating. It has some hints on how to diagnose corrupt RAM.

> Rob

Carsten