Server 'freezing'

Rob Brandt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Dec 20 19:14:01 2002

It's happened again.  It made it almost 5 days this time.  This
time, for the first time, while I'm sitting in front of it with
the screen not blanked out.  I could see that there were no errors
displayed before hand.  Every thing looks great, except of course
that it's totally frozen; no mouse movement or anything.

> Hmm, doesn't look like that to me. Anything in
> /var/log/messages?

Nothing that I recognize as significant.

>> Are there utilities to test RAM?  Or is the only way with
>> trial
>> and error replacing of RAM modules?
>
> My TiBook came with a CD to perform hardware tests. Tried it
> once just being curious. IIRC it also included a test of
> built-in RAM. I don't know if this is available for your
> machine. If you don't have a CD, maybe you will also find
> something in Apple's knowledge base about testing RAM.

I'll see if I can find something.  This server boots initially to
OS9, so if your tiBook utility is for OSX it won't help me.  BUt
I'll do a search.  And if I don't find anything, I'll start trial
and error stuff.  There are 3 256 MB sticks in it, and I'll pull
one at a time to see if the seg fault continues.  And if that
yields no results, I'll still some RAM from another Mac that never
has problems and test with that.

>> No, I hadn't tried to compile the kernal either.
>
> For me the FAQ at http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/ was quite
> illuminating. It has some hints on how to diagnose corrupt RAM.

I'll check it out.

Thanks

Rob