PPP daemon died!

Ken Grunke yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Dec 21 12:14:01 2002

My first experience with Linux after successfully installing YDL 2.2 on an Old
World PM 7500/200 (home/office package) is very positive, except I can't get on
the internet!
Modem dials OK, I've got my basic account info configured including the IP
numbers for my ISP. The log says:

"It was pppd that died
exited with return value 4"
and:
"This system lacks kernel support for PPP. This could be because the PPP kernel
module could not be loaded, or because PPP was not included in kernel
configuration.
If PPP was included as a module, try /sbin/modprobe -v ppp
If that fails, check that ppp.p exists in /lib/modules/"uname t"/net"

I don't get any results with these commands in a shell terminal in KDE, and
doing a file browse doesn't come up with any enlightenment.

If the PPP kernel module wasn't installed, can I use Package Manager with the CD
loaded to install it?

On maybe a related issue, when starting up, I see this:

"Finding module dependencies:
can't open lib/modules/2.2.19-lr/modules.dep for writing
FAILED
mount: fs type tmpfs not supported by kernel
FAILED"

Startup continues, and boots fine into either KDE or Gnome with no probs other
than the PPP issue. Is the module dependencies thing related to the PPP issue?

I searched through the whole archives before posting here, and have found some
leads on the web relating to Linux PPP, but nothing specific to my problem. I
just need a jump-start here, where do I begin?

thanks,
Ken