Monitor questions

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Dec 24 11:56:01 2002

    Jerry> I have a Titanium Powerbook 500mhz running Linux 2,3 and
    Jerry> Mac OS 9.2.2 and 10.2.2. After running in Mac mode at
    Jerry> screen resolution 800 by 640 I rebooted into Linux. The
    Jerry> bottom .25 inch of the info on the screen was hidden. I
    Jerry> booted of the Linux Cd and had the same problem. I went
    Jerry> back into OS 10 and reset the resolution to 1152 by 768 and
    Jerry> then restarted Linux. everything then came up as it
    Jerry> should. Problem gone. Can anyone give me an explanation of
    Jerry> this.

When you boot linux, the video driver software defaults to the
resolution the driver was last set at. There is probably a way to set
up the default in linux, I don't know it :). I think kernel arg's can
do it. If I ever boot into Mac OS, I usually make sure to reset the
resolution before I re-boot.

On an older G3, however, I often use fbset (e.g. 'fbset 1024x768-60')
to change the console. It should work on the titanium as well,
something like 'fbset 1152x768-60'. If you're running X, the
XF86Config file should default to the 1152x768 resolution.

    Jerry> second problem. I want to connect a VGA monitor to the PB
    Jerry> to run Linux I have had no success so far, Any help would
    Jerry> be appreciated. Jerry

I use a small program do this that I got either from a mailing list or
a linux powerbook web site, m3mirror.c (I have had it for a couple
years and don't remember where). You can turn the lcd and the vga port
off and on with it. If you want it, e-mail me directly and I'll send
you a copy of the source (less than 2k).

Mike

--
ydl@mikesoffice.com