interesting xmms/trackpad conflict

A R yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Dec 22 21:22:01 2002

Dear YDLer's.

I have xmms pretty much working under YDL2.3 on a
pismo.
I configured it to use libcdread.so, and disable
libcdaudio.so.  For output I use libesdout.so.

As root, I run esd &.
I then run xmms, and CDs will play successfully.
With Kmix, I can control the CD sound volume.

I cannot run esd or xmms as an ordinary user.
Not critical, but any advice on this would be helpful.

Now the interesting part:
When the CD is actually playing, trackpad tap is
silently enabled (and very sensitively).  Xwindows
KDE is pretty unusable.  Windows raise and lower
with minimal provocation.

(Yes, in /etc/sysconfig/mouse, I have the line
TRACKPAD_OPT=notap )

As soon as I stop the CD (xmms and esd still running)
trackpad tapping becomes inactive, and Xwindowing
is fine.  Start up the CD again, and tapping
reactivates.  Reproducible.

Anyone else see this?  Help would be appreciated!
Andrew