[TIP] browse and search archives offline

Ken Grunke yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 25 01:05:21 2002

I've seen occasional postings about the lack of a direct search function for
the archives, and offer this solution:
I downloaded the text archives of the general and newbie lists, and dropped
them into the mail folder of KMail. Since they are in mbox format, each month
shows up as a folder in KMail, and assumably in many other email clients--and
can be viewed by individual messages just like any mail. Cool! Now I don't
have to browse the archives online with a 56k connection, and no search
function other than Google. Using KMail's local search function is
light-years ahead of the internet, unless you're on DSL.
I thought I could organize everything into actual directories, but of course
that didn't work--they didn't show up in KMail.
So I created a folder for each list within KMail, and subfolders for each
month. Then used "Message-->Move to" menu to put everything in place.
A fast way to look for a possible solution to a problem before posting a
question that's already been asked.

Ken