Dual Boot Questions

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 1 05:58:01 2002

Hi all,

OK, I have made the transition from OS X to Linux. The only problem I hav=
e is=20
that the machine doesn't boot OS X of the external FireWire Drive. Let me=
=20
explain:

OS: YDL 2.2

I have a PB G4 which only has space for one drive internally (sigh). I di=
dn't=20
want to wipe everything off that drive to install YDL, so I opened the=20
machine, took the drive out and put another drive, which used to be my=20
external FW drive, inside. The old internal drive became the new external=
=20
drive.
Before I installed YDL, I tried to boot and the machine booted just fine =
from=20
the external FW drive, so 'we're in business', I thought.
After installing YDL though, the machine doesn't want to know the FW driv=
e any=20
more. When holding down the option key during boot up, it doesn't show in=
 the=20
list of bootable devices, only the internal drive is there (with a little=
=20
penguin next to it, kinda cute).

I then went to the YDL web site in search of information, but came back e=
mpty.=20
I'm pretty sure, there is something I can do in yaboot.conf or in the Ope=
n=20
Firmware, or both, but I don't know what that would be. Any ideas?

Best regards,
Chris
--=20
Chris Ruprecht
Network Grunt and Bit Pusher Extraordinaire
Gainesville, Florida, USA