Install Error - "Installation cannot continue"

Seth Dimbert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 1 23:17:01 2002

I'm just about fed up.

I've installed Linux before, on more than one PC. I didn't expect it to be
this difficult to get it working on a Mac. Grrr...

I've got a PowerCenter 120 with 34mb of RAM and 1.75 GB or drive space,
350mb of which is a Mac OS 7.5.3L System. I'm trying to get BootX installed
so I can install YDL 2.2 from the ISO I downloaded and burned.

I know the install disk is not the problem because I've made it three
different times. From three different downloads!

The only non-regular thing I've done is that, since the clean install of
7.5.3 did not include Stuffit Expander, I expanded the BootX installer on
another machine on my network and moved it to the PowerCenter via AppleTalk.

Every time I run it, it craps out just before finishing and gives me the
error: "Could not locate a match for a search specified by this installer.
Installation cannot continue." When I reboot, BootX appears, but the ramdisk
files are not in the System Folder. And when I try to boot Linux without
specifying them, I get a kernel panic.

I'm at my wit's end. Is there anyone out there who has successfully
installed YDL on a PowerCenter? What am I doing wrong?