Quanta (Was: Re: OS X to Linux transition - Help needed!)

David Dahl yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 4 10:17:01 2002

It is the best BBEdit alternative I can find for ppc linux...

On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 00:08, Keary Suska wrote:
> on 7/3/02 1:08 PM, wtaggar@uark.edu purportedly said:
>
> > Quanta rocks by the way. It is better that BBEdit...wish I would get it
> > for YDL>
>
> I have been looking for something comparable to BBEdit, but haven't been
> able to find anything decent, so perhaps the Quanta diehards can help answer
> some questions.
>
> 1) Does it work with anything other than HTML (namely: JavaScript, XML,
> C/++, Perl PHP)?
Yes... PHP, PERL, JavaScript, XML, ColdFusion, C++, more... (soon: Java)

> 2) Does it provide function popups with distinction between definitions and
> prototypes?
not sure
> 3) Can you perform multi-file search/replace with at least the same kind of
> functionality as BBEdit?
yes
> 4) Is its open from/save to FTP functionality intelligent (e.g., BBEdit's
> implementation is very inefficient, having to go through the entire
> authentication process for every connection attempt, including just getting
> a listing for the save dialog as well as uploading the file)?
YES
> 5) What kind of automation/scripting hooks are there?
>
> I assume that Quanta supports at least POSIX extended regexes with callbacks
> (PCRE would be best), paren balancing, and at least hooks for syntax
> checking and automatic execution (executing or compiling/executing from the
> application). Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the time to even install. Of
> course, these things matter to code developers more than web designers.

don't know yet