Recommendation for backup medium

Aurel Wisse yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 4 20:19:01 2002

I have put quite some time into my iMac/YDL 2.2 setup
and  independence from the MacOS is henceforth
reached.

The last thing I want now is to lose everything due to
some stupid hardware or software failure. Now I'm
stuck with USB and TCP/IP as the only means of
communicating with the outside. The solutions I would
happily look into are:

1) A remote storage site that lets me do something
along the lines of one full backup per month and then
daily incrementals, all via TCP/IP. A small fee (for
my <2GB) would be acceptable and I would appreciate
the option of recieving my data on CDROM in the case
of an emergency (again for a reasonable fee).

2) Removable media like a ZIP drive, CDRW or else.
USB. My problem with USB mass-storage is that its
support in Linux still seems fragile: careful when
unplugging while mounted, apparently no real full
partition access etc. Maybe I am wrong here.

3) A plain external USB drive, ideally small and
portable. Would be plugged only for backup purposes.
Same issues as in 2).

Now if 1) is not possible, has someone successfully
and painlessly run a USB mass-storage device like a HD
or a removable media device under YDL? If so what is
the make?

Aurel