WINE on OS X?

Nathan A. McQuillen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 6 17:44:01 2002

Look here: http://www.winehq.com/about/

Simple explanation (from their FAQ) of why this is NOT what you want:

"Some people mean by that that Wine must emulate each processor
instruction of the Windows application. This is plain wrong. As Wine's
name says: "Wine Is Not an Emulator": Wine does not emulate the Intel x86
processor. It will thus not be as slow as Wabi which, since it is not
running on a x86 Intel processor, also has to emulate the processor.
Windows applications that do not make system calls will run just as fast
as on Windows (no more no less)."

That is, Wine runs on x86 processors to provide Windows compatibility
under x86 *nix. It does not *emulate* x86 processors on different CPUs.

And that's that. There are various *86 emulators out there, but I have no
experience with them.

- Nathan