Airport & network configuration

Joe Buczek yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 5 08:26:01 2002

I run an Airport Basestation at my home and at my office. The other
day, a piece of LinkSys gear at my home died. The connection looked
like this:

  laptop(s) --> Airport --> LinSys box --> DSL bridge

The LinkSys box had one function: PPPoE.  When I put this together,
PPPoE was not yet implemented in the Airport, and there was no way
I was going to install the DSL provider's "software" onto any of my
machines. All was well until the LinkSys box died.

I reluctantly updated my Airport Basestation firmware to use the
PPPoE feature. To my surprise, it replaced the LinkSys box nicely
and the broken hardware went into the trash bin.

However...

It seems that the PPPoE implementation in the Airport does not
propagate back the default DNS server info. I set these in the
Airport Config utility, but they never get written into
/etc/resolv.conf when a connection is made.  Also, it seems that it
is no longer possible to set the Airport IP address -and- use the
PPPoE feature at the same time:  you seem to get stuck with
10.0.1.1 for the Airport as its address if you use PPPoE. The
reason these two snags are a problem for me is that my office
Airport config is very different (uses a fixed IP address for
starters) and I -used- to be able to move seamlessly between office
and home without having to do much more than taking the laptop
802.11 offline, then online again.

Any comments from those of you out there who use YDL 2.1 and
Airport in more than one location? Thanks for any help.

Regards,
--Joe