YDL 2.3 + KDE . . . . slow?

Douglas Carnall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 5 09:34:01 2002

> > [ I posted this on Friday and Jim on a Powerbook 667mhz G4 and Thomas=
 on
> > an iMac DV replied that they too have this SLOWLY opening KDE apps
> > problem with YDL 2.3. But no body has spoken up what the slowdown mig=
ht
> > be. Any ideas? Any suggestions? ].
> >
> > I upgraded from YDL 2.1 to 2.3 and suddenly KDE apps take 30+ seconds=
> > open -- Trash, Konqueror, Konsol and Configuration Panel, specificall=
> > are all taking way longer to open with YDL 2.3 than with YDL 2.1 (I
> > haven't tried the other apps yet).
> >
> > Anyone else have this problem?

I'm new to YDL, reviewing 2.3 for LinuxUser.  I agree KDE seems slow on 2=
=2E3=20
(though it is usable)

> > Any idea what is causing the slow down?

I'm running YDL 2.3 on a G3 Powerbook 233MHz Wall Street. Until last week=
 it=20
had 128MB of RAM which comfortably ran most things under Mac OS 9.04. As =
soon=20
as I launched KDE the hard drive started chattering and didn't stop. Foun=
d my=20
way to the system monitoring tools and find that all of the RAM is used a=
nd=20
half of the swap. It was miserably sloooow.=20

So I lashed out to max out my PB to 512MB RAM--and everything is much hap=
pier.=20
With KMail, Galeon, a few terminal windows and so on, KDE 3.0 seems to li=
ke=20
about 300MB RAM!!! Greedy or what?  Still, it's better than anything that=
's=20
gone before and RAM's cheap...

> This sounds most likely a problem with name server resolution.  Make su=
re
> that your /etc/resolv.conf file has proper values and that you have a
> correct default route (use "netstat -rn" to check).

I'm not so sure that the perception of poor performance comes from networ=
k=20
problems. Some data:

Time to launch (YDL default installs of):

Galeon=09=0910 secs
Mozilla=09=0920 secs
Konqueror=09=09107 secs (=3Dmisery)
KMail=09=0927 secs (just about bearable)
OE5/MOL*=09=096 secs

Time to open reply window after hitting "Reply" to an email
Mozilla=09=097 secs  (just about bearable)
KMail=09=099 secs (=3Dslow)
OE5/MOL=092 secs (that's more like it)

(OE5/MOL =3D Outlook Express 5.0 Macintosh edition running under Mac-On-L=
inux)

Hmm. Microsoft still beating KDE on the desktop? Mind you, I installed YD=
L so=20
I could get into the delights of Mutt, so I'm not complaining too bitterl=
y.

I'm going to switch to GNOME and see how I get on.

Regards to all,

D.

--=20
Douglas Carnall