YDL 2.3 + KDE . . . . slow?

Nathan A. McQuillen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 6 18:07:01 2002

Well, this is a good theory, and I've definitely encountered slowdowns as
a result of DNS issues in the past. However, I switched to GNOME (as root,
edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop, and change the single line to read,
"DESKTOP=GNOME")  and everything launches and runs beautifully. So unless
there's a reverse lookup going on whevever kdeinit launches an app that
doesn't happen with Gnome apps, I suspect this isn't it... also, name
server issues will in my experience cause slowdowns across the board,
including on startup, and I haven't experienced any of those.

We're talking extreme slowness, to the tune of around a minute to launch
Konqueror and over a minute to launch most Koffice apps on my machine
(Wallstreet 250), and some degree of slowness thereafter just in working
with the apps. Switching to Gnome has alleviated all of this, and given me
a far more attractive GUI and working sound and screensavers to boot.

- Nathan