YDL 2.3 + KDE . . . . slow?

Douglas Carnall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 7 16:10:01 2002

On Sunday 07 July 2002 12:40, Nathan A. McQuillen wrote:
> My mail server's been down since the 4th (forgot to restart Postfix --
> oops) but I just wrote to the list that Gnome is eminently usable on my
> Wallstreet 250, as opposed to the sorts of unbearable load times you we=
re
> seeing with KDE. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hi Nathan,

In fact, I just reinstalled YDL 2.3 for the second time around this weeke=
nd,=20
after a trip to the computer fair to upgrade to a 20GB hard drive (from=20
4.3GB).

Knowing it could definitely be gotten to work, I was a little more advent=
urous=20
with some of the installation configuration options (enabled video=20
acceleration). I also have enough space for 512MB of swap to match the RA=
M=20
setting. I'm not sure if the HD is faster (it may well be).=20

Anyway, I've got a general impression of brisker video performance in thi=
s=20
time around. Kmail still seems slower than a snail to open a reply window=
=20
(now 8 seconds), and so I will give GNOME a go. But not tonight....

Zzzz :-)

Regards to all,

D.

--=20