ydl2.3 questions: Nautilus and CUPS

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 9 15:27:01 2002

Dan Burcaw writes:
 > > Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
 > >
 > >   Failed to contact configuration server (a likely cause of this is
 > >   that you have an existing configuration server (gconfd) running, but
 > >   it isn't reachable from here - if you're logged in from two machines
 > >   at once, you may need to enable TCP networking for ORBit)
 >
 > Check that your time is set right. Various GNOME things act strange
 > when the time is not set right.

Time was ok.  This turned out to be an artifact of my home directory
being a remote nfs mount.  Apparently the relevant gnome processes are
unable to write to ~/.gconf and ~/.gconfd in that case, and that keeps
nautilus from running (since it can't get the ior's to talk to the
CORBA objects). I fixed it by making these two directories be symlinks
to locations on a local file-system.  Don't ask me how I figured this
one out...

 > [CUPS]
 > Try a different driver. We got a HP LaserJet to work here with cups
 > remotely...

CUPS mysteriously started working about 10 minutes after I posted that
query.  I don't think I want to know why.

--
rshapiro@bbn.com