ydl2.3 questions: Nautilus and CUPS

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 9 22:10:01 2002

Here's a guess at what's going on...  As a security feature, NFS translates
"root" on a client machine into "nobody" on the server machine (unless you
turn this feature off in the exports entry for that filesystem on the
server)  The relevant Gnome process is probably running as set-uid root,
which appears on the server as nobody, which does not have permissions to
write to your home directory.

If you reported it as a bug to the author/maintainer of the relevant Gnome
program, and s/he could figure out where the write was taking place, s/he
could program a check for the returned status from the failed write, and, if
appropriate,  try it again as the actual user.

Rick