ydl2.3 questions: Nautilus and CUPS

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 10 05:06:01 2002

Rick Thomas writes:
 > Here's a guess at what's going on...  As a security feature, NFS translates
 > "root" on a client machine into "nobody" on the server machine

Right, root is prevented from writing to nfs mounts, so I agree it
seems likely that some suid root process trying to write to ~/.gconf
and ~/.gconfd is the source of the problem.

 > If you reported it as a bug to the author/maintainer of the relevant Gnome
 > program

If I can figure out which one is at fault, I'll try to do that.  It's
not so simple though. All the gnome processes I see are running as me,
including gconfd, oafd, gnome-name-service, gnome-smproxy, and
nautilus. Nothing currently running as root looks to be gnome
releated.  Possibly something happens only at start-up and then quits.
Or maybe it's not root-can't-write-to-nfs thing after all.

--
rshapiro@bbn.com