YDL 2.3 + KDE . . . . slow?

Ted Johansson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 10 14:12:01 2002

I see the same things with YDL on my Imac DV/SE (450 MHz, 256 MB memory, =
20 GB=20
HD). As an experienced rh-linux user (two pc:s already running rh7.3, hav=
e=20
used linux since RH4 and last year also SuSE), YDL was the choice when I=20
converted the imac last week to unix. Therefore, I can not tell how previ=
ous=20
YDL behaved on the same hardware, just comparing the similar PC installat=
ions=20
(466 MHz PC/256 MB server and 800 MHz/256 MB portable)

Most things run OK, but something with KDE must be broken or really=20
misconfigured, since the startup of Konqueror takes 30 seconds! There is =
very=20
little sign of disk activity, which should rule out low memory. The netwo=
rk=20
is correctly set up using AirPort, routing, resolv.conf, hosts etc. look=20
similar as on the RH7.3 PC machines, DNS lookups (forward and backwards) =
also=20
work as they should.

I ran some tests on the 466 MHz PC and the 450 MHz imac:
Konqueror=09=09PC=093 seconds=09=09Imac:=09=0930 seconds
Mozilla=09=09PC=0911 seconds=09Imac:=09=0910 seconds.

Furthermore, ftp via Konqueror does not work (affects e.g. kpackage) - ca=
n not=20
connect to host computer. Ftp via mozilla does work.

What can be wrong???

Regards,    Ted