Reclaim hard drive space

Juan Manuel Palacios yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 10 17:12:01 2002

	You could use pdisk to modify the partition type from whatever it
is to Apple_HFS, save the partition map and reboot into Mac OS. For this
you're most  probably going to need a Mac OS boot CD if you also mess
with the boot loader's partition (but since it is so small, why bother
with that one?). The system will recognize the new partitions but will
also claim it cannot read them and this will give you the chance of
converting them back to HFS or HFS+. But you have to notice two things
here: once you change the partitions type you wont be able to boot back
into Linux, you'd need a bootable Linux CD to change them back again if
you ever change your mind before erasing everything in Mac OS. This
reveals itself as a problem, since (as far as I know) the YellowDog
install CDs don't have pdisk in them (the LinuxPPC Q4 install CD does).

	The second thing you have to notice is that the result from the Mac
OS point of view will be a desktop full of disks, since every partition
you change to Apple_HFS will be seen as a different disk by the system.
There is no way if returning to a single disk in the desktop (that is,
having only one usable partition)without reformatting the drive from a
Mac OS bootable CD.

	Sorry if the last explanation sounds like I'm questioning your
intelligence, but the title "reclaim hard drive space" sounded to me as
if you wanted to go back to the one disk/one partition scheme.

	That's what I make of it, those are the obstacles I see for what
you want to achieve. Needless to say, the best way around is the
unfortunate reformatting of the drive. You'd have to see if you can
afford the loss of the data in it or the loss of time backing up and
reinstalling everything.

	Regards,...

		Juan.