Reclaim hard drive space

Keary Suska yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 10 17:38:01 2002

on 7/10/02 4:46 PM, phil_howes@hotmail.com purportedly said:

> I'm using YD 2.2 on my powerbook G3, on a second partition to Mac OS 9 (No
> OSX) and I wanted to reclaim that second partition back to HFS+ as I have
> very limited space on my powerbook. I want just one HFS+ partion with Mac OS
> 9 without having to reformat my whole disk. I have aquired an old mac from
> work so I'm going to put YD 2.3 on that, and have that for all things Linux.
> Do I need to use Pdisk?

If you simply want to reformat the second partition, that's a simple matter.
However, if you want to combine the two partitions, you need a
non-destructive partitioning tool that can expand partitions. I don't
believe pdisk is non-destructive, and I don't recall a utility that is HFS
friendly. IIRC, Hard Disk Toolkit (a commercial product) can do what you
want, but last time I looked your drive had to be formatted and partitioned
by the product first. This may have changed. I thought I heard rumors of a
utility equivalent to partition magic (PC product) that was HFS friendly,
but I couldn't substantiate them.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.