YDL partition corrupted :-(

Nathan A. McQuillen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 11 09:42:01 2002

Which OS is asking you to log in as root (kernel has dropped you to
single-user mode) and run fsck? I've never seen OS X do this, but it might
if you're running in verbose startup mode and have serious errors -- I
dunno.

If it's your Linux install, I'd do what it says ASAP. There are operations
which e2fsck won't perform automatically (I assume because they're riskier
or something). Every time I've gotten that sort of message, I've done what
it told me and come away no worse for wear. It might take a while though,
especially if your drive is a bit hosed, and depending on the severity,
AFAIK, some of your more recent edits may disappear or wind up in
lost+found.

(OT, but related: Anybody used a VST expansion bay hard drive enclosure
for their PB dual/triple boot system? Speed? Reliability? The bay
connector doesn't seem to have as many pins as the MLB ATA connector,
leading me to suspect the data path may not be as wide..?)

- Nathan