YDL partition corrupted - partition up now, but still no login

Nathan A. McQuillen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 11 15:06:01 2002

Hey folks, don't forget -- Wallstreet = Old World ROM = No Yaboot.  Not
everybody's got a spiffy new machine. ;) There's a way to specify your
init level in BootX, but dang it, I can't remember what it is.

Andrew -- can you switch consoles? It's... um. If I recall, and anybody
who's actually at their machine please correct me, command-F1 through F6?
Or Command-Option-Fx if you're already being held hostage by X? This
should switch your screen/keyboard interface to one of the local TTYs, and
from there you can su and issue an init 3 command, thereby killing your X
server which is probably stuck in some sort of loop right now (they're
not too bright that way).

After you're happily back into a text console, you can edit /etc/inittab
as per instructions below. You can also explicit-kill the X server with
buncha-modifiers-Delete -- command-control-shift-delete or something like
that -- but if you're set to init 5, that'll probably just kick you back
into your dysfunctional X. But you may as well try it and see, if nothing
else is working.

- Nathan