The qmail mistery

mafrota yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 11 18:24:01 2002

Dear,

I am trying to run qmail in my server. I am using a iMac 350 running
yellowdoglinu 2.3 operational system.
Now I have some trouble. They are:

- When I telnet localhost at port 110 I cant authorize my testuser because
pop3 do not recognise the user pass. (But when I test checkpass through the
=B3/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup localhost checkpassword pwd=B2 command it works
fine, the same user and pass)
- When I test local message deliver it doesn=B9t work. The message go away bu=
never arrive at /home/testuser/Maildir/new directory.
- When I try to use the bin/maildirwatch, it returm =B3maildirwatch: fatal:
MAILDIR not set
- When I test remote delivery it works fine but using microsoft entourage
(mac version), in a remote machine (another iMac) the message go but never
arrive at his destination.

I follow these steps to install qmail-1.03:

1- Download  the package from http:://www.qmail.org
2- Untar it using =B3tar =ADzxvf qmail-1.03.tar.gz  -C /usr/local/src
3- Mkdir /var/qmail
4- groupadd nofiles
useradd =ADg nofiles =ADd /var/qmail/alias alias
useradd =ADg nofiles =ADd /var/qmail qmaild
useradd =ADg nofiles =ADd /var/qmail qmaill
useradd =ADg nofiles =ADd /var/qmail qmailp
groupadd qmail
useradd =ADg qmail =ADd /var/qmail qmailq
useradd =ADg qmail =ADd /var/qmail qmailr
useradd =ADg qmail =ADd /var/qmail qmails
     5 =AD fixing the DNS problem. I change the maximum DNS packet size value
in the dns.c. At line 24 I change =B3[PACKETSZ]=B2 to the number =B365536=B2
     6 =AD Compiling qmail using =B3make setup check=B2
     7 =AD After =B3./config=B2
     8 - I create the smtpgreeting using =B3echo =8Cmy SMTP message=B2 >
smtpgreeting
     9 =AD I create the minimal alias necessary:
    echo redirect address > /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root
    echo redirect address > /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-postmaster
    echo redirect address > /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-mailer-daemon
     10 =AD Create the user databank using
    cat /etc/passwd | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pw2u > /var/qmail/users/assign
    cat /etc/passwd | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-newu > /var/qmail/users/cdb
     11 =AD I create the startup scritp to use Maildir delivery format:
    exec env =AD PATH=3D=B2/var/qmail/bin:$PATH=B2 \
    qmail-start ./Maildir/ splogger qmail &
    After I called it as =B3rc=B2 and put it inside /var/qmail/
     12 =AD I create the script to turn qmail on at start up time.
    #!/bin/sh

PATH=3D/var/qmail/bin
export PATH

#Check that qmail is loaded
[ -f /var/qmail/bin/qmail-start ] || exit 0

case "$1" in
    start)
        echo -n "Starting qmail..."
        /var/qmail/rc
    ;;
    stop)
        echo -n "Stopping qmail..."
        killall qmail-send
    ;;
    restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
    ;;
    *)
        echo -n "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

     13 =AD I put it inside /etc/rc.d/init-d and link it in directories rc3.d
and rc5.d using:
    ln =ADs /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S81qmail
    ln =ADs /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S81qmail

     14 =AD Replace the Sendmail utilitie in the /usr/sbin/sendmail using:
    mv /usr/sbin/sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail.org
    chmod 0 /usr/sbin/sendmail.org
    ln =ADs /var/qmail/bin/sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail

     15 =AD Add the next line in the /etc/xinetd.conf
    smtp stream tcp nowait qmail /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
(Apparently it don=B9t make any effect even after I restart service xinetd.)
     16 =AD I create a test user
    add user testuser
    passwd testuser

     17 =AD I create the user maildir using:
    /var/qmail/bin/maildirmake /home/testuser/Maildir

     18 =AD I install the checkpassword software from http://cr.yp.to/softwar=
using the follow commands:
    mkdir /usr/local/checkpassword
    tar =ADzxvf checkpassword-0.90.tar.gz =ADC /usr/local/checkpassword
    cd /usr/local/checkpassword/checkpassword/checkpassword-0.90
    make
    make setup check

     19 - Add the next line in the /etc/xinetd.conf
    pop3 stream tcp nowait root /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup qmail-popup
myhost /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin.qmail-pop3d Maildir
(Apparently it don=B9t make any effect even after I restart service xinetd.)
   =20
     20 =AD I installed the ucspi-tcp using the http://cr.yp.to instructions.

     21 =AD I used this command in konsole line to turn SMTP on:
    tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtp
(Only after this I could telnet localhost at port 25 and get a response.
Before it I just received =B3connection refused=B2)

     22 =AD One more time I use this command in konsole to enable pop3
connections:
    tcpserver -v -R 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup myhost
/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1 |
/var/qmail/bin/splogger pop3d &

Please help me. I don=B9t know what can be wrong.

Thanks

mafrota