2.3 install error: error in transfer set (PBG3 233)

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 13 13:07:01 2002

hi list,

trying (very hard) to install YDL 2.3 on my PBG3 233MHz wallstreet.
running up against the following error:

while transferring packages in the "install packages" step, it barfs with
"error:  error in transfer set"  "please correct this manually"  "package
installation failed" (or something to that effect--I'm recalling from
memory)
and drops me back to the custom installation step menu.

This happens using both text and graphical installer.

Any insights?  My quick scan of recent archives yeilded a remark that I
might have downloaded a bunk iso, but the problems that iso seemed
to have aren't quite like mine.  Anyway, I'm dl-ing a new iso, but
ftp.yellowdog is full, and ibiblio is crawling...grumble.
Assuming a new iso doesn't fix it...other suggestions?

(and can I just take a moment to remark that the YDL installer leaves
rather a lot to be desired?  Like, a decent disk partitioning utility, for
starters.  And straightforward customization of the package selection.
Not to mention package installation it doesn't ask me to "correct
manually"...)

Hope to hear from you all with suggestions soon.

frustrated but trying to keep my sense of humor,
Andrew Stout