MacOS size weirdness

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 13 17:19:01 2002

First, thanks for the help with the error in my install--I'm about to go
repartition and see if things get better.  Second, sorry for flooding the list
with so many messages (and on a Saturday, no less).

This one isn't exactly about YDL, but it has to do with sizing partitions:
MacOS 9.1 is lying to me about the sizes of folders on my mac system
partition.  I first noticed this when I was backing everything up, but I didn't
think much of it until the same thing happened, more aggregiously, on a
brand new install of the system software.  If get info on the System
Folder or Applications folder on my MacOS system partition (which is
1Gb), or tell the finder to calculate folder sizes, it tells me my System
Folder is 251 Mb and Applications 81 Mb.  Those are the only things on
that partition, except "Documents" and "Late-breaking news", both of
which are small.  But if I get info on the volume, it tells me 636 Mb are
used on the volume.  251 + 81 + a little bit =/= 636.  And when I try to
download a big iso image, my FTP client tells me there's no room left on
the partition.  "Odd", I think, and copy the two folders in question to a
different volume.  Now they're 429 Mb and 159 Mb.
These are both HFS Standard partitions, on the same internal drive.
What gives?  We all know OS 9.1 is inferior to linux, but I'd expect it to be
able to give me the right sizes on a brand new installation.

Puzzled,

Andrew "this is my last post for the day, I promise" Stout