Compiling an APP

Daniel Resare yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jul 14 02:50:01 2002

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 10:57:59PM -0400, Wallydog wrote:
> I downloaded some files, they are .gz files and .tgz files and some
> source code.
> Every time i ask someone how to uses the programs, i always
> get, just read the READ ME...or just compile it.  most of these don't
> have read me's.
> I'm a complete NEWBEE...  I have no clue what the commands are for the
> terminal to compile an
> app....How do I do it???  Is there any resources out there on the net to
> help me..
>
> wallydog-

If you are new to linux i would recommend using pre-packaged programs in
the rpm format instead of compling your own. If your computer have a fast
connection to the internet, often the best way to get hold of needed
software is to use the apt-get program. If for example you need the 'bc'
command line calculator, you can install it to your system by running the
command

# apt-get update && apt-get install bc

(This is actually two commands. The && in the middle of them makes sure
that the second command only gets runned if the first command was
successful)

good luck!

/noa

ps. if you have any specific compilation problems, I'm sure there are
answers to your questions on this list. It always helps to be as specific
as possible when asking a maillist. A good resource on asking the right
questions is: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

--
begin:vcard fn:Daniel Resare tel;cell:+46739442044 tel;work:+468332040
adr;work:Scheelegatan 36; 112 28; Stockholm; Sweden end:vcard