Slow KDE or Gnome desktop

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 16 14:09:01 2002

>	I'm new to the list and I just installed YDL 2.3 from the ISO onto
>a PowerPC 6500/225.  It installed fine only when I used the 2.2 kernel and
>ran it in text mode.  That's not the problem... I installed the
>Home/Office setup and configured the screens correctly for X-windows, but
>KDE and Gnome both run incredibly slow.  Much slower than MacOS 8.6 ran
>before... any ideas?  Oh yeah, there are 96 MB of RAM and I have a swap
>disk of 128MB.  I'm also using the 2.4 kernel to boot.  Thanks.

What YDL version did you have on it before? I can say that YDL2/KDE3
is much slower than YDL1/KDE2 on this machine, you just don't have
the horsepower for it (it's mostly if not all KDE's fault). I don't
know what you mean by incredibly slow, but if you're comparing to
8.6, you're setting yourself up for disappointment - 8.6 (esp with
Speed Doubler) was the fastest MacOS for the 6500 - OS9 really drags
on it. I found GNOME to be faster than KDE on this box, but no speed
demon. Consider increasing memory to 128. There are motherboard
resistor mods that will take it from 225 to 300 if you are
interested. And you can always get a Sonnet card, which I think works
with Linux. (I have an accelerated 6500/G3/500 that I have not gotten
around yet to putting Linux on).

Stefan Jeglinski