Sound, modem AND screensavers all not working in YDL 2.3!! :P

Cameron Paterson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 20 14:16:08 2002

I recently successfully installed YDL 2.3 onto my 600mhz Graphite iMac (with
CDRW drive). I had assumed, after some exasperating experiences with
Mandrake Linux, that I would have a smooth ride with YDL since it is
especially built for Apple hardware and the iMac is pretty average Mac kit.
No such luck!
Thanks to  some useful advice from fellow members of this mailing list, I
managed to solve some initial problems with X configuration, but I
immediately ran into three other serious problems. Can anyone shed light on
ANY of these fubars in a newbie-friendly way? Otherwise, to be honest, I'm
going to have to admit defeat and abandon Linux for good...

1/ Firstly I have no sound, just static when I log in as a regular user. I
get an "Sound Server Informational Message" saying that there has been an
error initialising the sound driver because:-

"dev/dsp can't be opened
No such device"

When I log in as root, I get no error message but no sound either. I have
tried setting sound server to 8-bit as suggested on the YDL support site,
but this does not make any discernible difference. Force quitting X and then
rebooting back into KDE seems to temporarily bitch-slap the sound server
into life for a while but the loud distorting static is still present and
the orchestral start-up chime disappears again later.
I thought I might try downloading any available updates for 2.3, thinking
these might solve the problem, only to run into problem number two....

2/ The (dialup internal) modem doesn't work (properly). I ran the internet
configuration tool thingy and then entered my settings into KPPP, but this
insisted that it couldn't find my modem. After search of the archives of
this very mailing list, I realised that KPPP was looking for the modem at
/dev/modem and not where the configuration thingy was showing it - at
/dev/ttyS0. Although I have no idea why this is the case, I altered KPPP's
settings to /dev/ttySO and for a blessed moment it looked as though this had
solved the problem. KPPP now found the modem and seemed to successfully dial
it and log onto the network. However, when I attempted to then access
webpages in both Konqueror and Mozilla, both browsers refused to work,
displaying error messages about every site I tried being an "unknown host" .

3/ And finally, none of my screen savers work. When they are supposed to
kick in after the set interval, I just get a black screen. Pressing the
'setup' and 'test' buttons produces no result. Is this some sort of X server
- graphics accleration fubar?

Thanks in anticipation

CP