iLamp/tibook modem

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 20 15:51:01 2002

At 22:23 +0200 on 20-7-2002 Carsten Milling wrote:

 > > I believe it is the same (software, yikes!) modem as the one I have in
 > > my tibook. If so, then you have no chance whatsoever (for the time
 > > being, as well as for the forseable future--or people say) to make it
 > > work.
 >
 > This is a bit too pessimistic. I did not use the modem of my TiBook
 > for a long time now, but I can say that I got it to work occasionally
 > using wvdial under YDL 2.0.

Yay, that's indeed unexpectedly good news (as opposed to any other
source I have seen, which would invariably say that the software modem
does not and will likely never work).

True, I don't need dial up on my notebook right now, but who knows
what happens in the future. So, I fired up wvdial and to date I had no
success (modem not responding). But then I should probably be more
persistent.

Just to eliminate one potential problem though: I assumed that the
modem is like any other on /dev/ttyS0 and I created /dev/modem
accordingly. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.