iLamp modem problem !

Carsten Milling yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 20 14:22:00 2002

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 02:59:20PM -0400, Stefan Bruda wrote:
> At 16:39 +0200 on 20-7-2002 Nico wrote:
>  >
>  > I've just installed Yellow Dog Linux 2.3 and I can't get it recognize
>  > the inernal modem of my iMac G4 (iLamp) 800 SuperDrive...
>
> I believe it is the same (software, yikes!) modem as the one I have in
> my tibook. If so, then you have no chance whatsoever (for the time
> being, as well as for the forseable future--or people say) to make it
> work.

This is a bit too pessimistic. I did not use the modem of my TiBook
for a long time now, but I can say that I got it to work occasionally
using wvdial under YDL 2.0. However, it was quite a pain. Most of the
time, when running wvdial, it complained that the modem was not
responding. But after several retrys it usually found the modem,
dialed up and everything worked for this ppp session. Not a very
comfortable procedure, but it worked. IIRC, there were some postings
on this list, stating that the modem problem could be solved in kppp
(or whatever GUI tool it was) by increasing a timeout setting in its
preferences. I never tried this, but you may search the list archives
if you really want to know.

Carsten