PMUD shuts down machine on lid closing

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 20 23:29:01 2002

At 21:37 -0700 on 20-7-2002 Joe Buczek wrote:

 > My going to sleep log messages read like this:
 >
 > Jul 20 16:38:52 localhost pmud[382]: lid closed: request sleep
 > Jul 20 16:38:52 localhost pmud[382]: running /etc/power/pwrctl
 > sleep ac
 > Jul 20 16:38:52 localhost pwrctl: no function for PMU 12
 > Jul 20 16:38:52 localhost pmud[382]: going to sleep

Yes, but as I said in my first message (on July 10 or something), my
machine does go to sleep alright, but hangs upon wake up (as a matter
of fact that's my main problem, but I have abbandoned it for the
moment, as I cannot think of anything more to try; btw, if you have
any idea...).

So, for the above reason, I am running pmud with the -k argument (only
power off the screen instead of going to sleep). This explains the
above four lines in your log that are missing in mine. Indeed, there
is no going to sleep at all, just the lid-closed event. I should also
emphasize that the shutdown that I talked about happens some
relatively long time (of the order of minutes) after the lid is
actually closed (and correctly powered off).

 > Which version of pmud are you running? Which kernel version?

This is my configuration: kernel 2.4.19-rc1-ben0, and pmud-0.10-1b
(or, as `pmud --version' says, @(#)$Id: pmud.c,v 1.1.1.1 2001/12/07
11:31:46 sleemburg Exp $).

Stefan

P.S. Incidentally, the failure of my machine to wake up is driving me
crazy. I have read many reports of sleep working on tibooks rev II,
and rev III cannot be that different one would think. It might be that
the power management is indeed different, or that there is some pesky
device that hangs on wakeup. But then I have not find the culprit to
date. Do you have a rev II or a rev III tibook?

One day I intend to take a peek at pmud sources and see what really
happens in there, but spare time is so rare these days for me. I am
thus becoming a huge fan of quick fixes, should they exist that is...
So any help is much appreciated.

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.