YDL 2.3 install problems on a Performa 6360

Steven Tomcavage yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 23 14:06:01 2002

I installed YDL 2.3 several weeks ago on my Performa 6360.
For the most part, things are running smoothly. I had to
use the 2.2 kernel to install, since the 2.4 kernel would
crash everytime it would read my CD-ROM.

After install, I compiled the 2.4 kernel that came with the
install discs (2.4.19 ?) and changed all but my root
partition to the ext3 filesystem. Currently, my partitions
look like:

/dev/hda8  - ext2 - .5GB - /
/dev/hda9  - ext3 -  1GB - /tmp
/dev/hda10 - ext3 - .5GB - /var
/dev/hda11 - ext3 -  1GB - /home
/dev/hda12 - ext3 -  4GB - /usr
/dev/hda13 - ext3 - 10GB - /multimedia

My mac partition is on /dev/hda6 and my swap is on
/dev/hda7.

I'm still slogging through getting all the configs set to
the way I want them, but I also have two major issues:

1) Every time I shut down the computer, /dev/hda12 (/usr)
fails to umount. I get an illegal seek error on that
filesystem each time through the /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt
script. Any ideas? This problem only showed up after I
converted my filesystems to ext3, but it doesn't happen to
any of the other ext3 filesystems.

2) There seems to be a problem with my CD-ROM. About half
the time it won't umount when I want to change a disc. At
times when I'm using apt-get to install from the CD-ROM, I
get a kernel panic (I'm thinking this has to do with the
umount issue). I didn't get this problem with the 2.2
kernel. Can the 6360 handle the 2.4 kernel? I really want
to continue using the 2.4 kernel to get the journaling for
my 10GB /multimedia partition.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Steven Tomcavage