video problem with ydl 2.3 and xfree86 on powerbook g4

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 25 20:23:00 2002

Thanks for such detailed write up.  Apparently, I did get lucky.  The ydl 2.3 linux already came with the radeon driver that I need.  The following are the steps for installing YDL 2.3 on my powerbook G4.

1. use the "safe" text install mode to do the install.  even the normal text install failed to work for me.

2.  when you get to the X configuration step, configure your video for apple titanium powerbook G4 normally.  By the way, according to my owner's manual my ti is 1152x768.  But others on net seem to have 1280x768.

3.  At the last step of the X configuration, select boot up to Text command prompt.

4.  complete the installation and wait for machine to start reboot.

5.  at yaboot stage, hit the  key.  select the no video boot up choice.

6.  login as root.  edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

7.  search for the line:
Driver "fbdev"

8.  change that to
Driver "radeon"

9.   find the "Screen" section.  change DefaultDepth value to 16

10.  save file and you are done

11.  run startx to start kde or whatever you prefer.

note that you still must always boot up in novideo mode.

-James