UMAX C600 and C500 and Sonnet G3 upgrades

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 29 15:06:00 2002

>(*) Sonnet also has a cheap 400 MHz G3 card -- $100 -- but the L2
>cache on it runs very slow and Sonnet has been playing dirty tricks
>in recent times by shipping processors that may not really be rated
>at 400 MHz, so I can't recommend it.

Not only that, but at least originally (a few years ago), the G3L2
400 MHz design was significantly different from the 500 MHz design,
and I had confirmation from a Sonnet tech employee that the 400 cards
were "problematic" (read "defective," and I'm talking Mac here, not
even trying to consider Linux). I had such a card on a 6500 and it
was hell; the symptom was complete lockup when doing dual monitor
acceleration. Many people not in this boat ran fine with the 400, but
a select few of us were forced to a 500. This was covered extensively
at the time on 3dfx discussion boards, but obviously they are
unaccessible now, unless they were archived by Google.

BTW, at least for Mac, I would unhesitatingly recommend the 500 card
(although the processor-ratings debacle Tim refers to is troubling).
No I have never worked hard yet to get Linux going with this card.
Some day though I plan to...

Stefan Jeglinski