UMAX C600 and C500 and Sonnet G3 upgrades

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 29 15:43:01 2002

At 5:06 PM -0400 7/29/02, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>>(*) Sonnet also has a cheap 400 MHz G3 card -- $100 -- but the L2 cache on
>>it runs very slow and Sonnet has been playing dirty tricks in recent times
>>by shipping processors that may not really be rated at 400 MHz, so I can't
>>recommend it.
>
>Not only that, but at least originally (a few years ago), the G3L2 400 MHz
>design was significantly different from the 500 MHz design,

Just for clarification, the $100 400 MHz G3 I was referring to is the
Crescendo PCI for 75/76/85/86 etc. machines, not the G3L2.  I was
suggesting that, if it's an option, a couple hundred bucks of spare
cash could be exchanged for a far better Linux Mac than a system
upgraded with a G3L2.  :)

--
Tim Seufert