UPDATE Re: PowerBook Wall Street Server (NO SLEEP EVER)???

Keary Suska yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 30 15:21:01 2002

on 7/30/02 2:27 PM, lists@uhost1.linkbeat.com purportedly said:

> All -
>
> Further information regarding the issue I've been experiencing (below):
>
> o  I no longer seem to be able to ping the PowerBook from outside
> the local network when it is ignoring network traffic.  Either the
> situation has changed, or I was mistaken before; I'm betting on
> the latter.  This means that the PowerBook is completely ignoring
> traffic from outside its subnet until it gets traffic from its
> subnet, then it "wakes" up for a while.
>
> o  Removing pmud from the startup items did not resolve the issue;
> it makes the system more like a desktop system in that the display
> stays on when the screen is closed, but it still blanks the display
> after a period of console inactivity.
>
> Does this sound like a wake-on-lan issue?  Is that possible?  How can I
> make it go away?
>
> Preston

Does the problem go away when you change all sleep settings to "never"? Does
it still appear to sleep even when you have it set to "never"? There could
be an issue if the powerbook only stays open too close to the automatic
"sleep" position. You may also want to reset the power manager, boot into OS
9 and re-set the power management settings.

If none of the above are the case, there is likely a network configuration
problem.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.