FireWire SBP2 login timeout problem [was Again]

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 30 21:38:00 2002

On Mon Jul 29 2002, Oliviero Voyak wrote:

> I'm here again.
> I have problems with my external Firewire CDRW.
> I did all as HOWTO-Firewire (thanks a lot to everibody) but later in
> dmesg | more i find:
> "ieee1394: sbp2:error login into sbp2 device - login timed out
> ieee1394: sbp2:sbp2_login_device_failed"
> The CDRW is easy recognized in the Suse distro but in the YDL 2.2-2.3
> and in Mandrake 8.2 not.
> Otherwise i'd like to use YDL because i prefer this distro (and i like
> so much this community).

Hi,

Some problems with SBP2 login timeouts have been corrected in more
recent ieee1394 code.  If you're comfortable with building a new
kernel it may be sufficient to get a very recent 2.4.19 kernel.
If that doesn't work, you may need to get the very latest ieee1394
code from:

	http://www.linux1394.org/tarballs/

This is a brand new site and apparently the DNS entries haven't been
set up yet so you may have to wait a day or two to access this site.
The tarballs from this site are designed to replace the drivers/ieee1394
directory in the Linux kernel source tree.

						-Bill