time to update openssl

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jul 31 07:33:01 2002

Daniel Resare writes:
 > Surely there will come an updated version of th package soon from
 > yellowdog

Depending on your definition of 'soon'...

Fortunately RedHat is more on top of this than is YellowDog. A patched
src rpm is available:

 ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.2/en/os/SRPMS/openssl-0.9.6b-24.src.rpm

It builds fine under YDL2.3.  I could make my ppc.rpm's available, if
anyone wants it and trusts me enough :)

 > 6) install the resulting package(s) with 'rpm -Fvh
 > /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/openssl*'

The openssl.org security notice also suggest recompiling any packages
that use openssl.  I don't know how crucial this is, but recompiling
openssh, at least, is probably a good idea and doesn't take very long,

--
rshapiro@bbn.com