Backup devices - idea

bronto yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jun 1 13:13:01 2002

Here's an idea - maybe someone with experience can comment on it.

I'm thinking I may be able to get the best of all worlds by using
removable/swapable hard drives as my media.  They're fast, reusable,
large capacity, and relatively cheap.  According to my inquiries,
about as cheap per gigabyte as tapes, so I could even archive them
and not re-use them if I were so inclined.  My questions are: 1)
Reliability - in theory if treated with respect they should be as
reliable as permanently installed HD's, but is that realistic, 2)
will they be hot-swappable in linux?  Will I have to manually mount
the drive everytime they are rotated (daily)?  I know they don't have
to be on Windows or Mac, but Linux? and 3) Compatibility - will using
these drives throw a curve ball at standard backup utilities?

TIA

Rob