2.2 install on B/W G3 freezes at setup_arch:bootmem

A R yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 2 18:21:01 2002

Dear YDL folks,

I could really use some help.  I have 3 identical B/W
G3s, described on the back of their cases as
350MHz/1M cache/64MB SDRAM/6GB HD/CD-ROM/KB
I have added 256MB PC133 RAM to each machine, but
they are stock from Apple other than that.

I installed YDL 2.2 on the first of these, and
everything went perfectly.  No problems.
YDL works, MOL works, etc.

I then used dd to copy the disk of machine 1 to the
disk of machine 2.  The copy went fine, and the
second machine is fully functional as well.

But the third machine....
I used dd to copy the disk image from machine 1
to machine 3.  The third machine runs MacOS
fine, but it cannot boot YDL from the disk image.

When I say "cannot boot" (here and below) I mean
that machine 3 finds the disk and runs yaboot.
After hitting return, boot begins, but freezes after
the line "setup_arch: bootmem" is written.

I have checked disk 3 extensively.  Either
disk 1 or 3 can boot the first machine.  Neither disk
1 nor 3 can boot machine 3.

Machines 1 and 2 can boot from the YDL 2.2 installer
CD.  Machine 3 cannot.  Freeze at "bootmem" again.
This happens whether the hard disk is connected or
not.

I have swapped RAM between machines 1 and 3 as well
as video cards.  Machine 1 always works, Machine 3
never does.

I checked the firmware on machine 3.  The Apple
firmware updater 1.1 says that the firmware is up to
date.  Machines 1 and 3 have the same Bootrom 1.1f4
and
Open Firmware 3.1.1.

I have zapped the PRAM a dozen times on both machines.
No help for machine 3.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
By the way, two other users posted concerning
freezes near bootmem, and I did not see any responses
to their posts.  So I think that the answer to
this question may be broadly helpful.

Thanks again,
Andrew