2.2 install on B/W G3 freezes at setup_arch:bootmem

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 3 13:43:01 2002

At 7:13 AM -0700 6/3/02, A R wrote:
>Dear Tim,
>
>Thanks for the kind email.
>I completed the CPU swap, and no change.
>The problem stays with the motherboard.
>
>I have begun to suspect the "CUDA switch".
>I have read that the CUDA switch resets the
>real-time clock, and that bootmem will hang
>if the real-time clock is messed up.
>
>I see two silver buttons near the "plus" labelof the
>battery.  Pressing them didn't do anything
>helpful.  They appear to be "power on" and "reset"
>functionality only.
>
>Do you have info on how to reset the CUDA?
>Other ideas?

One of those two is actually the CUDA reset switch, if I recall
correctly.  You may have to press and hold it for several seconds to
get it to reset the CUDA instead of power on / off / reset.

Another method to REALLY reset everything is to perform what Apple
calls a "logic board reset".  Their recommended procedure is at this
URL (it's for the G4 (PCI Graphics), but that machine uses the same
motherboard as the B&W):

The steps they list:

1. Unplug the computer.
2. Press the Power On button on the front of the unit.
3. Open the side access panel.
4. Remove the battery from the logic board.
5. Wait at least 10 minutes before replacing the battery.
6. Make sure the battery is installed in the correct +/- direction.
7. Reassemble the computer and test the unit.

In my experience the "at least 10 minutes" can sometimes mean
"overnight".  I was once messing with my B&W's Open Firmware
variables and managed to get it into a state where it instantly
crashed on powerup, and 10 minutes or even 2 hours of battery-out
weren't enough to erase the settings -- had to let it sit for 10
hours or so.

--
Tim Seufert