why not OS X?

will taggart yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 4 13:32:01 2002

my question is: why use YDL at all if you have OS X and a New World Mac? I
am using my Linux partition less and less these days, in part because I have
discovered how easy it is to acquire unix apps for OS X (The two great
sources for BSD ports for OS X are http://fink.sourceforge.net and
http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net). Fink makes installing new software so
easy it is unbelievable. I have a friend with SuSE 8.0 and he wants fink for
himself...it is just simply so easy to use. Once I get my hands on a
high-speed connection I will download X and a lot more apps and then...why
use Linux? In OS X i have no hardware problems, I can listen to my mp3s, I
could watch DVDs if I had a player, I have access to an exploding number of
bsd ports, text looks 1000% better on OS X (and this is important since I am
a writer/graduate student), my modem and ethernet work just fine, etc, etc.
So what is the point? I personally hope that Jobs and co. release OS X x86
and take over the world. But who asked me?

William C. Taggart
Graduate Student, University of Arkansas
Department of Anthropology
King Fahd Center for Middle East and Islamic Studies
annapaxis@hotmail.com
http://comp.uark.edu/~wtaggar