why not OS X?[II] or I love linux...

will taggart yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 4 23:29:01 2002

The point I was trying to get at, and maybe I am not making myself clear, is
that all of the Unices, including Linux and OS X are so similar and so much
better than the crap that Microsoft puts out, why advocate one over another?
I am not simply a grandmother that wants to use AOL to talk to her
relatives. I want to be able to use UNIX apps like nmap, pico, dsniff,
tcpdump, and the GIMP. I enjoy using Linux and all the Unices. But to me,
they are basically all the same and learning the intricacies of BSD and
Linux has been a rewarding experience.

BTW: does anyone know how to modify the screen that appears right after the
boot options (LILO) and before all of the initialization scripts? I have
been hunting for that and I can't find it.

But anyway, if you are going to use Linux as your primary OS, why not use an
x86 box instead of a PPC one? I feel like I am a third-world computer user
when I see my friends running SuSE 8.0, which is better than any Linux I
have ever seen. It makes me want an x86 system in addition to my Mac. And
for all the admins out there x86 hardware is much more abundant and cheaper.
I don't see the advantage of using a PPC machine for Linux, although I
consider Apple hardware some of the best.

I will continue to use Linux on my machine, and I enjoy it, but until my
modem and sound work and I get text that looks and feels great it will be a
secondary, experimental system for me.

will

PS: OS X does not seem slow to me (on a TiBook 550 w/ 256M RAM).