why not OS X?

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 5 00:49:01 2002

On Tue Jun 4 2002, Konstantin Riabitsev wrote:

> Consider my problem:=20
> We have about 6 different types of installations. On Red Hat it works
> like so:
>
> 1. We have a central repository of RPM packages, updated with the latest
> fixes from Red Hat (yup tree).
> 2. We have 6 kickstart ks.conf files.
> 3. When I need to install, I turn on the machine and select "Linux
> Install" from the PXE menu. That's the last thing I do -- I then walk
> away and go do other things.
> 4. Machine downloads the correct kickstart config file (specified via
> DHCP) and installs all necessary packages.=20
> 5. After the installation is complete, it copies over the backed up
> configuration files and reboots.
> 6. Done -- machine is installed and fully patched.

This sounded really cool and useful until I checked and discovered that
it apparently only supports x86 systems.  I do a crude facsimile by having
a master machine that I keep updated via yup and other means, and then use
rsync together with an exclude list of personality/run-time-generated files
to update all the other systems.

Interestingly, I noticed that YDL 2.1 includes the mkkickstart-2.3-1.noarch.rpm
whose summary is "Writes a kickstart description of the current machine".
However, YDL 2.2 no longer includes this RPM.  I wonder what would be
required to enable kickstart to work on PPC and specifically YDL (obviously
use of lilo would have to be changed to yaboot).

						-Bill

P.S.  I have surprisingly found this thread rather useful and informative.