why not OS X?

Patrick Ladam yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 5 02:43:01 2002

will taggart wrote:

> my question is: why use YDL at all if you have OS X and a New World Mac? I
> am using my Linux partition less and less these days, in part because I have
> discovered how easy it is to acquire unix apps for OS X (The two great
> sources for BSD ports for OS X are http://fink.sourceforge.net and
> http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net). Fink makes installing new software so
> easy it is unbelievable. I have a friend with SuSE 8.0 and he wants fink for
> himself...it is just simply so easy to use. Once I get my hands on a
> high-speed connection I will download X and a lot more apps and then...why
> use Linux? In OS X i have no hardware problems, I can listen to my mp3s, I
> could watch DVDs if I had a player, I have access to an exploding number of
> bsd ports, text looks 1000% better on OS X (and this is important since I am
> a writer/graduate student), my modem and ethernet work just fine, etc, etc.
> So what is the point? I personally hope that Jobs and co. release OS X x86
> and take over the world. But who asked me?

Are you working for Apple???

The answer is straightforward: Please try to think of what can

possibly happen when an OpenSource project falls into the hands

of a private company. Of course OpenSource licences avoid this

for the moment but the OpenSource world has to be protected if

we want it to survive. Please do not bite the hand that feeds you!

Linux and its community is the main engine, OSX (that I use too)

is an adaptation, not the driving force. And please do not compare OSX

and Linux, did you run benchmarks??? they are not at the advantage of OSX.

Bye

| Patrick LADAM                   |                               |
| Laboratoire CSSB                |     THE BIG BANG THEORY:      |
| UFR SMBH                        |                               |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin            |   In the begining there was   |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX             |        nothing at all.        |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<<             |                               |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr |      Then, it exploded...     |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85     |                               |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77             |                               |