Netatalk printing.

The DJ yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 5 07:08:01 2002

Oke, I really need some help.
I've been messing with this for days.

Setup: PM 4400 with YDL 2.2 (server packages, no X11)
LW II NTX connected to the printerport.

I want to setup an lpd server so I can print to my printer.
I don't want a papd or an afpd. I just want to use pap to print to my
appletalk printer.

First issue was that for some reason $NETATALKHOME is set to /usr/bin which
gives the strange behavior that netatalk apps are looking in /usr/bin/bin
for pap etc. I set the variable to /usr from the rc.local file and from my
bash_profile.

Second issue. nbplkup only responds with "nbp_lookup: Invalid argument".

This is my printcap.local file:
Lp|LaserWriter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/LaserWriter:\
    :lp=/dev/null;\
    :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
    :if=/usr/sbin/ifpaprev:\
    :of=/usr/sbin/ofpap:\
    :tf=/usr/sbin/tfpaprev:\
    :df=/usr/sbin/dfpaprev:\
    :af=/var/log/lpd-accounting:\
    :mx#0:sh:sf:

I have a .paprc file in the spooldir which contains the name:
LaserWriter II NTX

Which is the name of my printer. (I checked this under OS9, since nbplkup
wasn't working.)

When I print to the printer I get this in /var/log/messages
Starting for root
Accounting with psa[840]
Sending to pap[841]
Straigth text
841 died with 1

If I call pap -p LaserWriter\ II\ NTX then I also get a "LaserWriter II
NTX:LaserWriter@*: NBP Lookup failed"

I'm totally lost now. I simply don't get this. Do I need to setup papd.conf
even though I don't want to be a print server? Do I need to specify which
interface I want to use? Or is the ydl netatalk package just &@%$( ?
What am I doing wrong. Please help me.

DJ, who is switching back to os9 now to print a page. ;-(
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan 'The DJ' Hartman
ICQnr: 10111559
Mail:  mailto:d.hartman@student.utwente.nl