2.2 install on B/W G3 freezes at setup_arch:bootmem

A R yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 9 14:18:01 2002

Dear Timothy,

I am back, and I have performed the checks you
suggest.
I can rule out both suggestions unfortunately.

I have one 12" long IDE cable, so I can attach either
hard drive to either computer using the same cable.
Either hard disk boots computer 1 and neither boots
computer 3, all with the exact same IDE cable.

Both computers have the updated 646U2-402 chip,
based on reading the printing on the chips themselves.

(Also, I left the battery out for a week after the
motherboard reset procedure and no change.)

So, do you have any other thoughts for me?

I am contemplating the following:

If I start with the YDL 2.2 installer with the 2.2
kernel, I will have to wipe the disk, and then redo
all the RPMs I want and all the configs I need.

I have a dd'ed disk image of YDL 2.2 (the way I like
it) on the hard disk of the Mac that can't boot YDL
2.2
(with the 2.4 kernel).
Can I do a kernel downgrade (or upgrade), leaving the
rest of YDL 2.2 (and my customizations) pretty much
intact?

What do you think of the feasibility of this plan?

Thanks again,
Andrew