X problems with Apple's new 667mhz Powerbook

nicman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 9 16:42:00 2002

Hi,
I just picked up the new 667mhz G4 Powerbook that Apple released last month.
The system has 32mb ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 graphics card and a LCD with a
resolution of 1280x854. I've installed YDL 2.2 and have a few problems. Your
help will be appreciated.

First off X comes up but in a color depth of 8bit only. The XF86Config-4 file
is using a fbdev driver. When I change to an ATI or Radeon driver it blanks X
totally and gives me a line near the bottom of the screen and hangs. With the
fbdev listed as the driver in the XF86Config-4 file X and KDE comes up but
looks pretty ugly, though the resolution is fine at 1280x854. When I try to
change the color depth X will not load at all.

Secondly, I can't seem to switch virtual consoles with YDL. When I press alt
and any function key (ie:F2)nothing happens. I've tried several different key
combinations without luck. Is there something I'm missing that is different on
a Apple?

Third the sound does not seem to work either, though I haven't played around
with it much.

Well thats it...I think. Again I appreciate any assistance you can toss my
way.

Jim Paradis
mailto:nicman@newsguy.com