X won't start after upgrading XFree86...

R Shapiro yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 13 12:35:00 2002

John Nelson writes:
 > Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

unix/:7100 is a reference to the X Font Server on the local machine.
Either you forgot to start it (check that the 'xfs' service is enabled
for whatever runlevel you start at) or, less likely, it's listening on
a different unix port (check 'netstat --unix').

 > The console also shows an error about cpp0 not existing.

Just 'cpp0'?  What's the specific error?

 > Alright so I rebooted the system and the system locks up at the multiuser
 > prompt.

The graphic (prefdm) prompt?  There's a known issue in YDL2.2 with the
mouse locking up.  Check their web site for the fix.  I think they
suggest changing /etc/sysconfig/desktop from KDE to GNOME.  I always
do this anyway since I hate KDE... You can still run KDE if for some
reason you want to, regardless of the desktop setting.  The setting
just determines whether prefdm runs the KDE login panel or the GNOME
login panel.

--
rshapiro@bbn.com